About Me

My photo
Milton, Ontario, Canada

Monday, April 4, 2011

A (Virtual) Half Marathon Weekend!

Back at the beginning of year, The Happy Runner issued her Half Marathon Challenge and I decided to accept it.

My plan was to run it in two parts, over the weekend knowing that my Sunday long run would make up more than half of the KMs.

Here are my results:

Saturday April 2: 5k - 31:42
Sunday April 3: 16.1k - 1:48:12

Total: 21.1k - 2:19:54

I managed to run this "race" about two minutes faster than my current prescribed Marathon Race Pace as I did the 5k around a tempo pace and the 16k was done at varied pace - 15min warm up easy, 6min at tempo with 1min rest x 3, around 42 minutes easy, then 10 min at tempo with 1 min rest x 2, then easy for the rest of the run.

That was a very difficult 16.1k, but I'm glad I decided to do that option (the other options were: Warm up, 70 mins at marathon pace, then easy or just a straight LSD run). I had sore/stiff knees for the rest of the day, but they feel fine now and I'm looking forward to pushing myself more as I train more.

I'm starting to get excited about the race even though it is AGES away and my goal this week is to PUSH during our hill training instead of wimping out after two hills and taking them easy-ish.

Congrats to all of those who ran the Harry's Spring Run Off, those who ran a surprise marathon and of course, The Happy Runner herself, who killed her A goal in her half marathon!

What did you do this weekend?

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your half marathon weekend and well done on the pacing! Pushing it during your long runs will give you so much strength on race day - and it's not THAT far away. :)

    Thanks for the shout out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job!!

    Do push it on the hills. They really, really help!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the conversation!