About Me

My photo
Milton, Ontario, Canada

Monday, December 30, 2013

2013: A year in review

Once again, I had an awesome year! Here are some highlights from the past 12 months.

January

Started in Jamaica! We took the trip to a friends wedding without the boys and had a good time even if we discovered that we're not really AI people.

Coming home, meant back to reality and the start of training for marathon #2. I raced Robbie Burns 8k again and advanced my AG placement while nabbing a new PB. 

February
We moved into our forever home after a very stressful home selling process. We are NEVER MOVING AGAIN:

I continued to embrace running in the cold as best as I could:

March
I began to seriously consider attempting more than just a 5 minute PB attempt in the marathon when I raced the Chilly Half Marathon
And Wayne and I killed our training run at Around the Bay

I also turned 36 and the next day left my soul sucking bank job to head back to a place where I feel at home: The Media Advertising agency. So I celebrated both:

April
At this point in marathon training, it seemed as if we had been running in cold, wet weather forever. There were a few Eff IT moments, but we pulled through with a great final training run on the Mississauga course to build our confidence for that first Sunday in May. Of course, I rewarded everyone with a Taper Cake
Race day strategy came together and I handled the taper very well.

May
Marathon #2 This is where I had my most exceptional running day. This is when I knew I'd make it to Boston one day.
Wayne and I ran the whole thing together, it was just a great day!

June
June started with my now annual Bread & Honey 5k race, where I pretty much shit the bed (as Sam would say). I looked great though:

I also solidified my fall race plans which did not include a marathon at my husband's request and Sam and I embarked on our very first #embracethesuck/ Jack Daniel's Running Formula training plan. June also saw me become a regular pre-work runner and I must say, I vastly enjoy it over the usual night time run even if it does get a bit lonely. 

July
We went on our first ever week long camping/trailer trip and loved ever second of it
 I ran three times while we were away and truly enjoyed each run, even if it was the week it was stinking hot in SW Ontario
In July, I also finally got my 5k PB and AG placed in a race for the first time ever! Of course, I looked awesome doing it:

August
August was a little rough for me in terms of running because I was having such trouble with my stomach. I tried to attempt my first ever pre-work LSD but had to abort due to said stomach. I never did find out what happened, but the issue hasn't returned, so maybe I just picked up a bug of some sort. August saw me run the longest distance of the second half of my year when I paced the Midsummer Night's Run 30k, 3 hour continuous group. I loved it and hope I can do it again next year.

September
The final push. Sam and I worked JD hard and got prepared to go after that late October race. Along the way we both PB'd at prep half marathon's, me at the Milton Half Marathon even though my stomach kinda hated me that day as well.

October
The most awesome unplanned race at the half marathon in Picton during the County Marathon. Everything was in place for the fall goal.

The Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon.

 Except, it didn't quite come together for me. While I earned yet another PB at the half marathon distance, I just didn't have the race I wanted to, physically or mentally. I took a lot of learning from that race, especially what to do when races go sideways and I came out the other side a much better runner. Not a bad way to finish half marathon #10

November
Redemption called and its name was the Road 2 Hope Hamilton Half Marathon. I got the race I wanted and I soaked it up
Then, I went on a run streak for 14 days, but still managed to enjoy some down time with my #1 supporter:
Finally, I launched right into Boston Qualify attempt marathon training with Sam and another Jack Daniel's plan. More importantly, I launched my Make-A-Wish campaign to raise funds for Wishes for Olivia (please consider supporting me if you can).

December
And finally, the end of the year. There have already been some meet up runs in Burlington, some treadmill tempo runs. Snow runs

And even a 16k treadmill run. I've gotten sick and gotten off track the past few weeks, but I'm committed to making the Boston standard in May, which means 2014 looks like its going to be another awesome year.


Total KM run: 2,500km (1,553.43mi)
Total time spent running: 239h2m28s

Happy New Year, see you on the flip side.







11 comments:

  1. Quite a year Nicole! You've really kicked it up a notch! looking forward to seeing you go for that BQ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing year! And amazing race photos to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on an amazing year Nicole! Loved your pics as always, especially that one with the Ken photobomber! All best for 2014!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great year Nicole. Lots of thumbs up which is awesome. All the best for 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every year gets better and better. Here's to an awesome 2014. Oh yeah... I enjoyed the taper cake! Let's do it again

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great year and loved reading the recap Nicole!! Cheers to an awesome 2014 and a BQ!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your awesome year! Have a wonderful 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on such an amazing year! You're definitely a motivation to me and I hope to meet you some day! All the best in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year! You had a great year and I was glad that I could meet you at ATB!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on a great year! Here's to another great year with a BQ!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many great smiles!
    And yay for moving to Mississauga (I may be a little biased :p)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the conversation!