About Me

My photo
Milton, Ontario, Canada

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Bread & Honey 5k race goals

Well, the annual Bread & Honey festival takes place this weekend in Streetsville. When I was a kid, I used to dance in the parade each and every year as I spent 16 years taking competitive dance lessons at the Mississauga School of Dance

1995 International production number champions, Orlando, FLD
When I found out that the festival holds a race on the Sunday morning, I had to join up. I've run the 5k twice and the 15k once (which was enough for me! LOL). I'm back again on Sunday to run the 5k.

So, what are my goals?

Well, my original thought was to run a 4:30/km pace and try to get in around 22:30 which would set me up nicely for my half marathon goal at Milton/STWM, but after only one session where I ran 1.5 miles at that pace (broken up) and an abortive attempt yesterday, I think I'm simply going to run my ass off and try to PB (sub 24:37).

Last year I came in 6th in my age group. It would be AMAZING to get into a higher position, but I really can't control that. The speedsters may be out in force. Instead I'll focus on running a 5k the way you're supposed to: All out, kicking the whole time and feeling that exhilaration when you feel like death at the end


I plan to do at least 3km of warm up before the race and line up right at the start line. Last year I hung back just a bit and it was a mistake as I had to jockey and weave and dammit, I'm going to be a speedster this year! I also know about the slight uphill after 4k (which is a downhill in the first KM) so I will use that to my advantage. I'm scared and excited about just going for it. I may even.... only display the KMs on my Garmin.

CRAZY!

See you all on the flip side!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck speedster! I know you can do it and I can't wait to read all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck at the 5K!! I think you will crush your current PR, it's close to mine-ish and you are way faster than me! I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the conversation!