About Me

My photo
Milton, Ontario, Canada

Friday, August 28, 2009

Bib 1266

I'm bib #1266 for tomorrow's inaugural Toronto Women's 5k Race,

This is my third race since May and also my third race ever.

For my first 5k, my goal was to finish.

Accomplished.

For the second one, my goal was to beat my 31:06 time/run the whole thing without walking.

Check.

This time, the goal is to run the race in under 30 minutes. Reaching this goal will also allow me to tick off my first (of two) 2009 resolutions: To run 5k in 30 minutes.

I've done well with getting runs in leading up to this event. While I haven't done speed or hill work, I have run longer distances with my friend Sarah, I've run after nachos and beer, I've run at lunch time while at work (twice now!). I am prepared! I CAN do this!

But I'm afraid of failing.

I'm afraid I'll get over eager and caught up at the start and go out too fast and die on the second half.

I'm afraid that my adrenaline will rush too strong and make my heart rate boom!

I'm afraid that my plan to rely on the one water station is going to leave me dry mouthed and gasping for water.

I'm afraid of the rain predicted.

I'm afraid I'm setting a goal unattainable.

But.

But... I'm going to do my best to keep my positive attitude! I KNOW I can do this! I almost did it in June. I want to be happy and carefree and encourage my friend Joy who is running her first ever 5k (and planning on stopping for firefighter photos!), I want to smile if I run into Marlene and wish her luck without looking like a nervous Nancy, I want to suck it up and shake it off if that final time reads over 30 minutes.

This, I can do as well.

No matter what, there will always be another race.

2 comments:

  1. Sure, there will be plenty of other races. I sooo know those pre-race nerves. I get them ALL THE TIME. Fortunately, I'm running with a friend for fun tomorrow so it's no pressure. What a relief!

    I know how you feel. Trust your training. You can do this!

    Hope to see ya!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the conversation!