About Me

My photo
Milton, Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Recovery Week

Recovery week went very well for me.


I had taken Monday off of work and was able to bring my son to school and then my husband and I spent over two hours in the bank sorting out our future. I was a bit uncomfortable with this and was glad when the meeting was over.

On Monday night I played my first fast-pitch ball game of the year and I had warned my coach that I wouldn’t be very useful. As such, I was in Right Field the entire game (except for the inning I sat out) and batted last. I could tell that I was tired because I couldn’t keep my head on the ball and struck out three times without any contact at all.

Tuesday I returned to work. Tuesday was the worst day for my legs. They were heavy and sore and I had to walk down stairs to get to the Train and then to get into Union station. I was super slow and took it easy. I was also VERY hungry on Tuesday and allowed myself to eat whatever I felt like.

Actually, all week I ate what I wanted. What is amazing is that I didn’t indulge in too much junk. I guess all of these weeks of eating healthy has caught up with me and I now enjoy carrot sticks and apples as snacks.

Wednesday night, our group met up for a short run for some of us. I ran 5k easy with Julie and felt it a bit in my legs but never needed to stop. We then headed out for dinner (a huge, juicy burger and sweet potato fries with a pint of beer!) and celebration of our success.

On Thursday, I took it easy again, but my legs felt perfectly normal.

Friday I worked from home per usual and would have gone for a short run, but we had some trim delivered and of course they got to my house at the end of the day. In the end it worked out as my husband took Alasdair to swimming lessons and Fergus and I ran over to the LCBO to get some booze for my book club night.


Saturday was a little rough considering book club the night before, but the boys and I spent the day enjoying the Toronto Zoo. Ken worked on installing the trim. Man, that fixed wheel jogging stroller is no joke to push around at a crowded zoo!



On Sunday, I enjoyed a very lovely 16k run with Julie from the marathon clinic. She was running 29k in total as she is racing in the Ottawa marathon and a few ladies joined her for the first 13k, and then I joined in for the last 16k. We ran nice and slow with walk breaks and my legs felt fine the entire time.

All in all, I think it was a perfect week of recovery. My legs felt great, I didn’t get sick and I had NO knee issues which usually manifest in the week after a big race. Now I have to decide what I’m going to do in the next few weeks before I ramp up some kind of training plan again.

I hope you enjoyed your recovery week if you had one!

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I miss the zoo. My boys couldn't be bothered with it now. Nice job taking it easy, glad that you were able to recover nicely. Any thoughts on what's up next? You're doing Midsummer's aren't you? Sarah has planted the seed for me to do it, not sure if it will grow or not though. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you recovered well after your first marathon! I was the sorest after my first...had trouble walking and doing stairs for a few days....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the conversation!