About Me

My photo
Milton, Ontario, Canada

Friday, November 2, 2012

Hamilton Half Marathon Race Goals

Well, this Sunday I will run my second half marathon at the Road 2 Hope Hamilton Marathon. However my goals are a bit different for this race.

I will be pacing my stranger virtual friend, Ali as she runs her very first half marathon. I've "known" Ali for about a year or so and "met" her on Daily Mile. Then I started reading her blog and knew that I had found someone who I could like for real. She is open, honest and funny and tries her best not to miss a weekday update about her running, or baking or son or just life. Plus, she always has a smile and thumbs up for almost any occasion!
Ali Mc. Thumbs up and smiling all the time!

I volunteered to be her personal pacer after she worried that she would go out too fast and crash and burn during the race. When she said that her goal was 2:15, I knew that I could help her achieve that goal and that I'd have a great time doing so. So my goals have nothing to do with time for this race.

My goals (in no particular order)

  • Be a respectful partner. This is not MY race. It is Ali's race. I intend to listen to her and take her seriously. Of course, I do follow her training via her blog and on DailyMile, so I have a certain expectation of what she is capable of, but this is one day and anything can happen.
  • Keep on the slower pace. At least for the first half (the exception will be the Red Hill Valley Expressway). Don't tell Ali, but I'm a wee bit worried about this. 
  • Be positive. Easy peasy. I love to run and I love when others love to run. Done.
  • Be a cheerleader when needed. Be a hardass coach when needed. There will be lots of thumbs up, positive re-enforcement and cheering. If needed, there will also be some hard talk. Especially at the last bit.
  • #runnerd out for every photo opp that I notice.
  • Get major cheers for this first-timer whenever I can.
  • Cross the finish line after Ali.
  • Get Ali across the line in 2:15 or better.
I'm ready and (whether she knows it or not), so is Ali.

I'm bib #2647, Ali is bib #3523

Cheer us on if you see us!

See you after the finish!


2 comments:

  1. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...no I'm a wee bit worried :P lol

    EVERY single race that I've done I've ended up getting sick or injured before and my training has sucked for weeks prior....and then on race day I pull faster speeds out of my ass - so here's hoping!

    the only exception was last years ATB I had been off running for over a month and I was super slow. :(

    Anyway I think this will be great! I've been nervous for a few days but I'm just going to foam roll like crazy and keep drinking water ;)

    Cant wait to meet you!!!! thumbs ups all over the town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, you are both going to do great I'm sure! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the conversation!